What does it take to be a successful & highly motivated leader in the skateboard community? Join us as Shaun Hover shares his skateboarding philosophy and get an inside glance at his journey of becoming a leader in the skateboard community, a family man, and social entrepreneur.
- At 12 years old he saw these teeenagers skateboarding in his neighborhood, and ollieing over a tipped over trash can. Then he saw a local skater kickflip over the sideways trash can. He didn’t know about skateboarding, when he saw that, he has to skateboard. It was so different than everything was expected. Not like basketball or football sports. Not like normal expected sports. Skateboarding was so different. So different. So beautiful. Skating isn’t about how something looks. The beautify. Where you do it. The beauty and art is what drew him to skating. He struggled with ADD in school and he didn’t feel like he fit into the normal routine of school. He liked skateboarding because he knew he could be a part of.
Biggest Failure/ Worst Moment
- When he was 20 years old, he lost his best friend Nick Paradise a talented skateboarder and artist. Nick didn’t do well in school, got addicted to drugs, and that took away his life, his skateboarding, and his art. Shaun was living and taking care of him, trying to help him become sober and take his life around. Shaun talks about the journey of losing his good friend and the life lessons that he got from that. Super deep.
Biggest AH-HA Moment
- One of the biggest AH-HA moment happened when he was leading skateboarding ministry at a local skatepark by doing contests and BBQs. One day while hanging out with friends, skating, and singing songs, he got this vision of skateboarders worshipping God all over the world. He tells the story about how he got the idea to start “Calling All Skaters.”
- Find and surround yourself people that are strong, where you’re weak.
Tool / Tip:
- Use notepad in the iPhone
- He tells his wife to help him remember
Favorite Books & Video
- Christian Hosoi – I Am Second – Video
- Book of Acts in the Bible
- Next Generation Leader – Andy Stanley